\', 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom, \' - \', Honda DOHC Customs, \'
  Login or Register
1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements
boneytom
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Going to look at this thing in person today. If everything looks good, I think I'm going to move on it. Wanted to get some of you seasoned vets' opinions though. Here's a copy of the guy's craigslist ad:

"This is a nice looking bike. 15,800 miles on the bike
Will start and run. Engine runs good - BIKE IS FAST - not for a beginner rider!
All gears work, clutch is good.
Comes with an extra starter (one on it works fine)
Chrome is good except spots on handlebars.
Paint all good except for small bubble near gas intake.

Has the coveted Hi/Lo range shifter (10 total speeds)

Seat needs recovered, looks OK but has tape on it where there is a split seam.
Has a charging problem that will need fixed, believe it is the Stator or Rotor. (will start and run and rides great for about 40 miles, then the battery is near dead and needs charged)
Both tires need replaced (hold air but rear is near bald and front has dry rot in spots,I have put over 1000 miles on them in the last 3 months) Have been quoted $160 - $300 for new tires installed
Carbs need tweaking, runs ok but needs adjusting.

CLEAN NC Title in my name
WILL NOT TAKE LESS THAN $900, DON'T ASK!

NICE BIKE overall and could be made REALLY NICE with about $500 investment (tires, seat recovered, tuneup) (Less if you can do the work yourself)

This is a really nice bike, just needs some TLC and someone with some money to put into it."

And here's some pictures, first two are from his ad, last three are ones he emailed me:

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/tnbonner/CB9001.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/tnbonner/CB9002.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/tnbonner/900Shifters.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/tnbonner/900_Left.jpg

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/tnbonner/Tank_Right.jpg

$900 seems pretty fair to me. I asked him to elaborate on the carb thing, he said there's a little hesitation in the lo and hi end until she warms up, then it's fine. Just needs syncing/valves adjusted? Based on what this guy admits is wrong with the bike, how much do you think I'm looking at to get her road worthy? The only part I'm concerned about is the stator/rectifier issue...I know nothing about charging systems. Is this a common issue on these bikes? Let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Frank
Turbo-Powered Poster
Turbo-Powered Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:01 am Reply with quote Back to top

Wow dude I don't I don't think that you can go wrong with the bike at that price, looks really clean. The problems you listed aren't that unusual. I think most of us on here have had problems with our charging systems at some point and time. The original rotors tend to fail after so many years when they do it's not uncommon for them to take the regulator/rectifier out with them. The carbs have some really small holes in them that tend to plug up when they sit for long periods of time, your issue may clear up with just some good ride time under it and if it doesn't we can help you to fix any problems with them. Tires have to be replaced no matter what bike. That rust on the bars should clean up with some steel wool. Adjusting the valves is just part of routine maintenance on these bikes.

Tires: 200.00-300.00 common size several options
Rotor: 150.00 rebuilt
Reg/rec: 100.00
Seat recovered: 50.00-100.00 take to an upholster
Of course you will want to change the oil, filter, air filter, add a fuel filter, plugs, change the brake fluid, oil the chain, just the usual stuff. Just guesstimating, looks like you will be putting maybe an extra 700.00 in (depends on how good of a shopper you are) and some time. $1600.00 for a good running bike is pretty damn fair if ya ask me. I'd sure go for it

Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:08 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks, Frank. I felt the same way about $900 price tag. It's a shaft drive, btw. The prices you listed for the rotor, reg, and rec; are those just parts prices or are you guesstimating on parts/labor from a shop?

Frank
Turbo-Powered Poster
Turbo-Powered Poster

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:14 am Reply with quote Back to top

You are gonna find that taking these bikes to a shop is a waste of time, gonna charge you a boatload of money and most of the time they won't fix the problem. These are just parts prices. All the manuals are here on the site detailing how to do all these things and of course lots of very knowledgeable members on this site to help. These things aren't that hard and don't require tons of special tools to do

Here's Gumby!
Here's Gumby!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 11:16 am Reply with quote Back to top

There's was a guy over at Performance Honda (Pineville) that claims to know these bikes (Craig...not sure if he's still there) . Might be somebody over at Iron Horse (Monroe), too. Just in case you get stuck. Still, much better to do the work yourself....

2001 BMW K1200LT (RIP)
1991 Honda ST1100. 190K miles and smooth as silk. 
boneytom
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Well, I went and rode her today. Beautiful looking considering the abusive swine I'm saving her from. Seller cranked her up in the driveway and immediately revved her up to 6-7k. I wanted to slap him. As I said though, got to ride her. Seems like she needs the carbs synced, a little hesitant when you try and goose it but then picks right up. Noticed an oil leak in the right fork seal. They looked brand new, but I don't know how oil's seeping out unless the seal is bad. Regardless, can't complain for $900. Taking her home tomorrow afternoon.

pd750

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 6:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

8)

Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

These have been Thousand Dollar Bikes for a while. I looked at a few until I bought a 1982 with 16,000 miles. Great bikes for the money. I've tried a couple times to post my "How I got my 900" piece here.

To me, it's a plenty fast bike too. I ain't messed with the carbs yet, but it's important on these four cylinder bikes that they be dialed in. I live near Hickory and took my CB 550 F to Doug Snider for carbs rebuild and synch. It runs great now. Soon as I sell the 550 or a Suzuki 550 I have the 900 is going to Doug.

Enjoy that 900. We'll share questions and answers as we build them.

Doc

Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

there was about 12 years or so around here that these bikes were impossible to sell for over $500 dollars ..even for a nice one

about 1987 - 1999

my brother bought his 81 750c dressed in 1982 used

it was pretty nice until he sold it in 2007 for near $2000

in the mid eighties he tried to sell it for $500 ..no buyers

around here , bikes go in cycles..like sleds and atvs

i never paid over $500 for any bike , until just lately

even nearly new back in the 80's

People are just as happy as they make up their
minds to be. ― Abraham Lincoln
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/johnveinot/DSCF1663.jpg
04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
boneytom
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 1:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Just got her home! Looks like the plug wire on the third cylinder is bad, she needs a good tune up. Hopefully that and half a can of seafoam will get her running nicely. (fingers crossed) Will start a new thread with a walkaround vid as soon as my camera charges!

Power Poster
Power Poster

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:52 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Congratulations!
Carefully check the fork tubes for pits. Rust pits will slice a fork seal up and let the fluid out.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic