\', 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom, \' - \', Honda DOHC Customs, \'
  Login or Register
1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements
ljonny18
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:37 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, my name is Jon. I am new to this forum and have joined as it has been recommended to me on multiple occasions !!!

A few months back I bought a 1983 CB750 Project bike that I am now currently working on (I will try to post some progress pics / start a build thread soon) Smile

I am a complete Novice when it comes to mechanics, and am hoping that I can at least learn something with my project, if not at all get a running bike out of it Wink

I got the bike cheap in an Ebay Auction although it is in a lot worse condition than I originally thought (with a lot of missing / broken parts) and was a non starter.

This is the bike as it was when I got it(picture taken from the Ebay Ad):

As mentioned, this is my first project and I am a bit of a novice but looking forward to seeing what I can do with the bike !!!

Anyway, I just wanted to say hi. I am looking forward to sharing my project and hoping to to get some sound help and advice.

Cheers,
Jon.

Last edited by ljonny18 on Thu May 31, 2012 7:52 am; edited 2 times in total 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:18 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to here, Jon ... wave

Here's our welcome boiler plate. Please read this and the welcome link on our homepage to learn forum basics, fill in your sig, and enjoy your stay here:

The New Member's Boiler Plate link wrote:
There is a thread you need to read, before you start asking a lot of questions that are already answered in it, that will help you get a little indoctrinated to our forum. The New Member's Thread (click here) has the forum rules on various matters like permissible picture posting sizes and what bikes we're about and such, some answers to common questions that n00bies always ask about these bikes, links to the Honda Shop Manuals and so forth.

We ask that you read that thread, do the few housekeeping tasks requested there, and also get highly familiar with the Shop Manual for your bike. It helps make everybody's membership here more useful and pleasant, and less redundant for all. It will also help you get a bit more familiar with some of the nuances and culture of membership here.

Be sure to put your DOHC relevant bike model in your sig and turn it on both places (1) in the profile and (2) in the reply box when posting. You'll know more about that after reading the info... Be sure to check it to make sure the sig is actually working, too.

If you have questions about any of this please ask.

If you are seeing this and you did put your signature in, you probably didn't do the second step that's required and click the "Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)" box when posting your message. You can edit your posts using the edit button in the upper right hand corner of your post and turn on that checkbox, however.

Have a look around then, look in all the forum sections at stickies and such. And be sure to read that New Member's Thread, it will direct you to the manuals, and other resources. Also take some time to read and get familiar with the manual, there will be a test. Laughing

Since you are a "complete novice" I suggest you download and read the Honda Common Service Manual too. It has a lot of general information that is good background to be aware of.

Sorry, ebay bikes can go both ways, but more often than not will need more work than obvious. We'll be able to help, but read up first so you we can speak intelligently.

Good luck.

Kindly read this linked thread with the rules before posting
pictures or asking lots of questions that are already answered in it.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C 
holysmokes
Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

my names is john also

silent h and silent also

welcome to the site

People are just as happy as they make up their
minds to be.” ― Abraham Lincoln
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/johnveinot/DSCF1663.jpg
04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
ljonny18
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi, I have read the boiler plate and completed my (simple) signature (hope its ok). What is the test ?

Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:10 am Reply with quote Back to top

you just passed it again with your question

04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
Frank
Turbo-Powered Poster
Turbo-Powered Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

My name is John too! But it's spelled F.r.a.n.k.

administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

ljonny18 wrote:
Hi, I have read the boiler plate and completed my (simple) signature (hope its ok). What is the test ?

Haha! Can't tell. It can be kind of long, some is multiple guess, some is essay... a lot of it will be questions you'll ask.

Yep, sig is fine, thanks.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C 
Frank
Turbo-Powered Poster
Turbo-Powered Poster

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:15 am Reply with quote Back to top

Don't worry about it, just do like me and copy off what others have written

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:17 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the site Jon ... Smile

Please put the year and model of your bike in the signature section on your profile / member account page and set \\\\\\\"Always attach signature \\\\\\\" to YES . Just below the Reply box , check the box in front of \\\"Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)\\\" . 
ljonny18
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:19 am Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks for the welcome messages...

I already have my build thread on another forum (cb100f) - @genesound I believe you already know this thread and have already helped me a lot ...

Is it worth "also" posting the thread here? For me it would be good re another source of feedback, help and advice, i guess it would also be good for others who are interested in the project and/or have similar projects on the go etc... I just dont want to duplicate things etc...

administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:27 am Reply with quote Back to top

Oh! Now I realize who you are. I hadn't put you together from there.

Sure, of course, why not post here too? There are a few of us go to both sites, but we also have our separate members too. It's a little different climate here, a different forum experience. We have rules on picture sizes and other things.

Have a good time here Jon, nice to see you again.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C 
ljonny18
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

ok, sorry but I have my first question already Smile

Quote:

We have a limit for picture sizes displayed directly in threads of 640 x 480 (or 480 x 640) pixels ... Links or clickable thumbnails to large pictures are acceptable and encouraged however, as long as the thumbnail isn't over 640x480.

I resize all my pictures to 800x600px (600x800px) and store them all on an external image server. I can therefor link to the images from the thread instead of including them in / uploading them to the thread etc...

e.g. [ img ]http://image.location.jpg[ /img ]

Is this acceptable ? The images are bigger (800x600), however, are loaded form an external source ? or would I have to resize all images on my image server to the recommended 480x640px ?

administrator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:05 am Reply with quote Back to top

ljonny18 wrote:
ok, sorry but I have my first question already Smile

Quote:

We have a limit for picture sizes displayed directly in threads of 640 x 480 (or 480 x 640) pixels ... Links or clickable thumbnails to large pictures are acceptable and encouraged however, as long as the thumbnail isn't over 640x480.

I resize all my pictures to 800x600px (600x800px) and store them all on an external image server. I can therefor link to the images from the thread instead of including them in / uploading them to the thread etc...

e.g. [ img ]http://image.location.jpg[ /img ]

Is this acceptable ? The images are bigger (800x600), however, are loaded form an external source ? or would I have to resize all images on my image server to the recommended 480x640px ?

You can use thumbnails that refer to your larger images, or just post links, but the issue we have is that we have users in remote locations that have nothing but slow noisy dialup service available, and so we have limited posts that display directly in threads to 640x480 max.

We don't serve pictures at all from here currently. If we ever do upgrade to the newer version of the software, we might start hosting a picture server.

I'd really like to get an inline picture sizer for our image displaying, so we actually could have larger pics available, but only retrieve and display smaller versions in threads by default, and have the sizing done by the forum software before it's rendered and sent to the client. I don't know if there is such a thing, but until then, i'm afraid we only allow 640x480 pics to be posted to display directly in threads.

Thanks for checking.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C 
holysmokes
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:25 am Reply with quote Back to top

that's nice..an informed consumer

04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
ljonny18
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote Back to top

Ok Thanks Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic