\', 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom, \' - \', Honda DOHC Customs, \'
  Login or Register
1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements
kegan
This Just In
This Just In

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:21 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi everybody!

I'm new to the forums but I've been referring to them for info since I got my 1979 cb750kl. I got the bike with about 8,500mi on it after it had been sitting in a garage for over a decade. It looks like it had been in a very low speed lay down (maybe even tipped over in the garage according to previous owner). I'm willing to do things to it myself as I have already cleaned out the carbs (and hopefully didn't mess up in the process). I am able to start the bike but only three of the pipes (headers?) are heating up and the second from the left is getting warm but not hot as the others can burn my hand and I can stand to hold on to it. Might it just be getting warmed by the other pipes? I did notice a small pencil sized hole in the exhaust pipe that isn't warming. My biggest problem is that the bike sounds like there is an occasional backfire but that might be it blowing out the carbon buildup. Anyways that about sums up its current state and my ideas about the problem(s). This is my first bike and I have zero experience with motorcycles other than taking the msf course and watching the old man ride off in his. My budget is pretty non existent I traded an xbox360 and games to get the bike in the first place. If you've read this far I've come and posted in the right place. If not here's a link to a four part video I've posted on youtube since seeing it is probably better that me trying to explain. Also it's my first video of this sort so I can make more with better angles or whatever might be needed. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=5E87674A921CB387

Last edited by kegan on Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:05 am; edited 1 time in total 
kegan
This Just In
This Just In

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:06 am Reply with quote Back to top

I've started a thread in the projects section since it's a little more appropriate spot. Though this isn't much of a project than it is a troubleshoot.

Turbo-Powered Poster
Turbo-Powered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:33 am Reply with quote Back to top

Howdy

Turbo-Powered Poster
Turbo-Powered Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:41 am Reply with quote Back to top

Well Kegan, I hate to say this but these old bikes can be real money pits when you first get one, do this, check that, repair this, repair that, replacement parts. We will help you all we can but like I point out to people, you will have a bike payment one way or the other. Either ya gotta buy, replace or repair parts on a old one or throw down the cash on a payment on a new one

Power Poster
Power Poster

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome ... glad to see you've come out of the shadows. And, yep ... that's about how these bikes sound with pods ... saves on gas though Wink

When you get the airbox back on and install a proper paper air filter, let's see how it turns out. On the cylinder that isn't firing, pull that plug, crank it over, and see if you've got any spark. Since you've got ignition on all the other cylinders, your coils should be okay ... so you'll want to check out everything downstream of the coil (ie: plug wire, cap, plug).

1981 CB750F
1979 CB750K
1981 GS1100EX
1967 X6 Hustler
2006 GL1800
2004 Nomad (In Arizona)
[url=http://s849.photobucket.co 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic