\', 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom, \' - \', Honda DOHC Customs, \'
  Login or Register
1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements
JoeCanuck
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 4:53 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Good day. I'm Joe...55 years old living in Alberta. I've had a few bikes over the years; 1978 Yamaha 750 Special...(worst bike ever), 1986 BMW K100RT, 1996 BMW R1100RT and a 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale.

I needed something a bit lighter than the 900lb behemoth Venture Royale I sold last year. I got a pretty good deal on a CB900C with stock side bags and a backrest. It was allegedly running but wouldn't when I got there. After much farting around, and a few spritzes of carb cleaner, it would run with all 4 cylinders and that was good enough for me for $400 CAD.

I took the carbs off and gave them a quick clean. I didn't split the carbs. The main jets were completely clogged on 2 and the float needle was stuck closed on another. After some cleaning, the bike runs pretty good. It smokes a bit but it hasn't run for a couple of years. I've had good luck with older engines that have sat around after thrashing them a bit and some quick oil changes. It may tighten up a bit...or not, but it should be fine for the summer.

Good tires. No leaks. Drive and valve trains are quiet...all good signs. The front calipers tend to stick on after a while, but if they're anything like my Venture, there is a tiny vent hole that is probably plugged.

The bike used to have the stock fairing but the PO removed it and installed the bare headlight kit. I prefer a fairing and I made a deal to swap that kit with a stock fairing. He even is throwing in the funky, retro Vetter side and top bags and mounts.

He has two bikes, both with fairings and bags and as part of the deal, I"m going to help him get a bare CB900C running, for easier sale. He may part out the other one...which has lots of good stuff on it. I'll post any items he may put up for sale in the classifieds.

I stumbled upon this site after much searching for CB900 info and it has already been a valuable resource. I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions, inevitably will ask the same ones that have been asked hundreds of times before and couldn't find on a search, but I'll do my best.

Groups like this are an invaluable resource for people who own something years, maybe decades, out of warranty. I look forward to participating and maybe even make the odd contribution.

Done; Stick Coil Mod, brake master vent, carbs cleaned, carb linkages lubed, new NGK D8EA plugs, coil relay mod, valve chaintension, Hondaline fairing. On the list; valve clearances, headlight relays, much more 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:39 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to here wave

These carbs generally need fairly detailed cleaning if they get fouled. There are hidden passages that take special consideration to really get clean. Check out the MacGregor carb link in my sig for help with that, it's good.

Also be sure not to spray the carbs with carb cleaner... it eats the rubber, brake cleaner is much safer.

Kindly read this linked thread with the rules before posting
pictures or asking lots of questions that are already answered in it.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
Whozaa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 6:58 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome

Incidentally, none of the 79-83 DOHC models came stock with a fairing or luggage. (The 1100F came with a little bikini fairing, but that doesn't really count.) All of the Hondaline stuff was bought as an add-on at the dealer. The Vetter branded stuff is aftermarket of course.

Hey new guy! Please read the New Members Thread behind this link. http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7149
It contains the rules for forum posting and other valuable info you need to know. 
Duke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 7:25 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome

I edited your post to attach your signature. Just keep the box Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile) under quick reply checked and you will have no worries.

Enjoy the site and when you get time please post some pictures for all to see Smile

1981 CB900 Custom

[color=green 
pd750

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome to the site JoeCanuck ... Smile

If you haven't read the following page , now is the time .

http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=80601#80601

If you run into problems with any of that , Please let us know . Thanks . Smile .

Please put the year and model of your bike in the signature section on your profile / member account page and set \"Always attach signature \" to YES . Just below the Reply box , check the box in front of \"Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)\" .

1982 CB750C (Sold) Haven\'t found another , yet . 
seanathon
Feel the Power
Feel the Power

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 5:13 am Reply with quote Back to top

Hi beer

1974 Triumph Trident T150v (future project)

New members, read  
JoeCanuck
Getting up steam
Getting up steam

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 2:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I forgot to mention that I read the 'must read' threads...which is not to say I have them memorized.

Sites like this made life with the Venture much easier. There were hidden traps I wouldn't even have thought to look for, and I was also able to come up with some ideas that helped some fellow riders.

This site has already made my life easier with a lot of handy tips as I skulked in the background. Links to manuals made the carb cleaning a lot easier.

Genesound; I did exactly that. I checked out that link, and while I didn't get the things completely apart, the goal was a quick clean to see if I had a working bike. So far, so good.

If the bike is performing to my satisfaction as is, I'll wait until winter to do a deep clean with a proper kit. If it starts acting like crap, and I can't get it to stop....that may happen sooner.

I've been burned by carb cleaner in the past so I'm wary of the stuff now. On the inside of the carb to clean the passages, I used brake clean and a can of compressed air, and I cleaned the float needle seats, bowls and jets with CLR.

I plan on running a carb cleaner in the gas on the occasional tank. What's the recommended choice? Seafoam seems to be the magic bullet for a lot of ills, but I don't have much experience with it.

It seems to be running not bad right now but I only have a few trips around the block on it. A lot can change as the engine gets thrashed a bit...hopefully mostly for the better.

I didn't know that the fairings were aftermarket and/or dealer addons. Regardless, I'm a fan of those crazy looking retro hunks of plastic. I can always change back.

The paint is pretty ratty...another victim of 80's auto clearcoat. I'll post some pics in the near future.

Done; Stick Coil Mod, brake master vent, carbs cleaned, carb linkages lubed, new NGK D8EA plugs, coil relay mod, valve chaintension, Hondaline fairing. On the list; valve clearances, headlight relays, much more 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 3:46 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, Seafoam is good, no more than 1/2 a can to a tank of fuel, 1/3 can is probably better. If it gets too strong, the motor won't run as well just because the stuff isn't really a good fuel, it has less BTU/volume than gasoline, so it weakens the mixture... but it will help clean up carb deposits if they're not too bad.

Chevron Techroline is also good...

Kindly read this linked thread with the rules before posting
pictures or asking lots of questions that are already answered in it.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
flogger
Now you're talking
Now you're talking

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome...

SeldomHome
On a roll
On a roll

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:49 am Reply with quote Back to top

Welcome, pictures are always appreciated.

Vive le Canada
The true North, strong and free. 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic