\', 1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom, \' - \', Honda DOHC Customs, \'
  Login or Register
1979 to 1983 DOHC CB750/900/1000/1100 Honda Custom: Forums

View next topic
View previous topic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:08 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Ever wonder how we got a "free" country into such a state where you can't hardly fart without breaking a law? It happens when people do irresponsible things that piss enough people off to get up in arms and pass a law to make it illegal. So just because you can do something, doesn't always mean you should. Not that this is such a thing, but when you say it's a free country, that brings a whole different skew into the discussion. I have friends that moved to Russia because they don't have anywhere close to as many laws that nit pick you to death about trivial matters like we do now.

Kindly read this linked thread with the rules before posting
pictures or asking lots of questions that are already answered in it.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
holysmokes
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:02 am Reply with quote Back to top

if you live a sub division, don't raise sheep

and paint your house purple

it's a crying shame to cut up a real nice example of a 750c, but it is your bike and shame

People are just as happy as they make up their
minds to be.” ― Abraham Lincoln
http://i559.photobucket.com/albums/ss31/johnveinot/DSCF1663.jpg
04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I'm done telling people what to do with their bikes, well, unless they ask. A suggestion is one thing, but any more than that doesn't do anybody any good.

When it comes down to it, many people don't want to go to the lengths to restore a bike to looking almost like new either. It gets a bit ridiculous to spend a lot of money to put on parts just because they look better.

Sometimes the best money that can be spent IMO is on just maintenance and fuel, maybe really good tires and riding gear, and just ride it somewhere. Be sure to change the oil often, somewhere between every 1-2000 miles depending on the riding.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
holysmokes
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

so true, but if they ask

04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
Frank
Turbo-Powered Poster
Turbo-Powered Poster

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:29 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Frank wrote:
5. Service it, ride the shit out of it and save your money

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:18 pm Reply with quote Back to top

It doesn't bother me that people chop up a nice bike. The problem is that a lot of times they start with all the "fun" stuff. You know, the seat, the handle bars, cut up the frame, etc. And then don't want to spend any time or effort on getting the thing to run well, and then justify it by saying "its only a bar hopper" like there's some sort of cool factor in having a poorly running bike.

These DOHC bikes were bred from a race heritage and it hurts to see one needlessly crippled for the sake of "making it your own"

There are some who can make it work. Hedrives has a really top notch project going on over in the K section. Bigjeff seems to have a nicely done machine as well.

It's the same as when the car import scene blew up in the early 00's (largely in part to the Fast and Furious movie). Everybody wanted to build a tuner, and so many civics and 240s were hacked on to pieces. Now you can't find a good daily driver from that age because they all got riced and abandoned!

I see the "cafe" crowd in the same light.

If you really want to build a cafe, do it well, and do it right. That's really what I'm trying say.

[/rant]

Hey new guy! Please read the New Members Thread behind this link. http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7149
It contains the rules for forum posting and other valuable info you need to know. 
Whozaa

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:27 pm Reply with quote Back to top

A perfect example of what not to do.

Hey new guy! Please read the New Members Thread behind this link. http://www.cb750c.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7149
It contains the rules for forum posting and other valuable info you need to know. 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Yep, unfortunately, the "fun" part is doing the work, until it gets too hard and is no longer fun. Then the excuses come and they want to sell it half assed and guess what? Not that many people really want to buy a hacked up funky half done mess that someone thinks is worth a bunch of money. If anything, they ruined the resale value, not enhanced it, but you can't tell most of them because they've seen some nice ones bring real money. It's an endless revolving door. The only upside is that eventually the nice bikes of the era will appreciate, because some people will want a good stock one or close to stock, and will be willing to pay for them.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
bigjeff
Power Poster
Power Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Come on - look at the bright side.

Every time a nice bike gets hacked it makes your pri$tine $tock one go up in value by virtue of increased rarity. Just roll with it. Wink

holysmokes
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:42 pm Reply with quote Back to top

I've seen enough rolling on here

and on kijiji/craiglist/ebay

04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:48 am Reply with quote Back to top

At least you made yours a good runner Jeff, and it looks OK and you like it, so that's cool. But what I don't get is the guys that screw up a good bike, then can't finish it loose interest, and try to pawn it off as a big accomplishment or something special and never do hardly ride it.

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C.

Last edited by genesound on Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:52 am; edited 1 time in total 
flatlinerocker
Running Strong
Running Strong

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote Back to top

It's a nice bike you've got (and you got it very cheap, congrats!). If you know and/or want to know the mechanical bits this forum is indeed a great place to be at. These folks know the tips and tricks to get it running like a dream. And as a few folks before me commented - first get the bike running as it should (it is a fast & fun bike, trust me) and then start to think more on what to do next. Propably starting with carbs, then on to cam adjustments and ignition issues Wink

And as for building the bike to be your own - most of the folks will tolerate customized bikes, but at the same time most of them tend to keep their bikes 110% original. Of course there are exceptions, some very nice built-up bikes here as well. I like it both ways and if my bike would have been in better condition/less milage (or more original) when I got it then maybe I would have left it that way. It sure would have been a more comfortable ride with the original seat, bars, etc. Wink, but that's why I tend to make changes I can reverse later if I change my mind.

Enjoy the site and remember it's your bike, do to it what makes you happy. Wink

1970 AMC Hornet SST 343+T10 2D Red-White-Blue
1969 AMC Rebel SS 
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:57 am Reply with quote Back to top

Yeah, just make it nice. Like they say, it's your bike. shrug

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
SevenFifty
This Just In
This Just In

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:54 am Reply with quote Back to top

I cant bring myself to hack it up so I am taking that option off the table. The longer I have the bike the more I like its style. It has a way of growing on you.

bigjeff
Power Poster
Power Poster

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote Back to top

SevenFifty wrote:
I cant bring myself to hack it up so I am taking that option off the table. The longer I have the bike the more I like its style. It has a way of growing on you.

They ARE sexy as is. My bike is all stock except for the tank and seat (minus some parts). And the reason for that was economics. The aftermarket tank and seat was cheaper for me to do new than going the restore route at the time. Its all good though. Get them running right and ride them.

SevenFifty
This Just In
This Just In

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Does anyone know where I can get an aftermarket seat? Ive searched the forum and online only to find one nice slim seat that was listed as a CB750c.

Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote Back to top

i just checked your

Quote:
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)

box

again

04 vl800
09 50 honda jazz

Paint gelding 
Leaf
Running Strong
Running Strong

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:22 pm Reply with quote Back to top

SevenFifty wrote:

Very Happy

There are plenty of $100 junkheaps with titles on craigslist for making a big project, if you still get the urge to go that way!

I get the most satisfaction out of taking a pile of bike (/truck/computer/etc) junk and building a running <whatever> out of it as cheaply as possible, rather than chopping on one that is relatively "decent". :3 And you end up with something that really /is/ unique, not just a factory bike with chopped fenders, no muffler, and poor air filtration. :3

The hard parts are the fun parts! That is when you learn stuff. :3

1980 CB900C + 1981 CB900C + Ural Deco Sidecar (project)
1980 CB400 Twin + Velorex 562 Sidecar
grippon
Power Poster
Power Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:59 am Reply with quote Back to top

Whaaa huh? I just woke up from my nap? Somebody say my name? Kansas? 750? Howdy!!! I'm down here in Wichita. Grad student? Hmm that puts you in Either Manhattan Hayes Lawrence Emporia Pittsburgh or Wichita...

2008 Kawasaki ZX10R
I bumped my head. No seriously...
Image[img:4a83fb5d42]http:/ 
grippon
Power Poster
Power Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:36 am Reply with quote Back to top

SevenFifty wrote:

They don't make 'em like this anymore. I like the chopped/cafe look to look at,(when it's done well) not to ride really. Last week I did 600 miles on my CB750 and had a blast. I'd probably be in a lot of pain if I did that on a spring seat, cafe seat, and drag bars.

You'll find that these bikes are comfy and thrilling, you can cruise and you can dart and carve. I love a bike that can do more than one thing with.

2008 Kawasaki ZX10R
genesound
administrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote Back to top

Not only that Erik, you did it on a 750 motor you pulled apart, fixed, and put back together. Good one. Wink

ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
81 CB900C, 83 CB1000C. 
grippon
Power Poster
Power Poster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:04 pm Reply with quote Back to top

Thanks brother, It would not have happened if it had not been for the guys here.

2008 Kawasaki ZX10R
SevenFifty
This Just In
This Just In

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:23 pm Reply with quote Back to top

holysmokes wrote:
i just checked your

Quote:
Attach signature (signatures can be changed in profile)

box

again

Am I doing something to cause it to go away? I have not unchecked any boxes so I dont know why you would need to check it again. My apologies either way.

grippon wrote:
Whaaa huh? I just woke up from my nap? Somebody say my name? Kansas? 750? Howdy!!! I'm down here in Wichita. Grad student? Hmm that puts you in Either Manhattan Hayes Lawrence Emporia Pittsburgh or Wichita...

I am also in Wichita (WSU)! I just moved here a couple of weeks ago. Good to see theres a finished 750c rolling around here!

I got started on the bike today.

I have decided in the spirit of keeping this stock and actually getting it ride-able this season I am going to avoid taking anything apart that I dont have to. Essentially I am going to go over the whole thing with an SOS pad, chrome cleaner etc. Then touch up some spots here and there with gloss black brush on paint. Do regular service and maintenance and then just ride the damn thing. Maybe some day I will break it all down but it doesnt seem like it needs it at this point.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    WWW.CB750C.COM Forum Index -> Welcome and Forum Announcements

View next topic
View previous topic